Accountable Healthcare - California is a Great Place for Travel Nurses
Skip to Main Content Skip to Menu Skip to Footer
August 3, 2018

California is a Great Place for Travel Nurses

The state’s population is over 37 million and accounts for more than 10% of the nation’s total population. A large population means more hospitals and more potential travel nursing jobs. In addition, California has something for everyone: rural communities and quaint small towns, beaches, mountains, and even desserts. So if you want to Travel with Accountable in California, how do you obtain your California RN license? It typically takes six to eight weeks to obtain your license. One of the biggest obstacles is the fingerprinting process. The state of California requires that the results from fingerprinting come from the federal Department of Justice (DOJ) and a fingerprint check is required before they will issue a temporary or permanent license. A fingerprint card can be requested from the California Board of Registered Nursing (CBRN). They will mail a paper fingerprint card to you with the instructions. For the actual fingerprinting, you need to go to a local police station, where you will be fingerprinted. The fingerprint cards are then mailed back to CBRN along with all the other required documentation (see below for the list). The CBRN will then mail your fingerprint card to the DOJ who will run the fingerprints and report back to CBRN. The CBRN charges $49 for processing manual fingerprints. There may also be a fee charged by the service that completes your manual fingerprint. There is, however, a quicker way to get your fingerprints done. The modern version of fingerprinting is with LiveScan. Your fingerprints are read electronically and the results are received immediately. You must be in California in order to get the Livescan completed and is not an option if you are not in the state of California. LiveScan fingerprinting results come back quickly so this will save time instead of mailing your fingerprints to the CBRN. For more information, Click Here. Once you pass the fingerprint test, you can either apply by mail or in person The quickest option would be to do this in person. The following is a list of the required documentation:
  • Application for Licensure by Endorsement (this can be found on CBRN’s website)
  • 2 Passport Photos
  • Verification of License
  • Nursing School Transcripts
Finally, you’ll also need to request that all your nursing school transcripts be sent the California Board of Registered Nursing. Be sure to follow the RN positions with Accountable that are available in California. #RNTravelJobs